22 November, 2006

sinking vs swimming

So Ian Thorpe has officially "discontinued" his competitive swimming career.


Frankly I say good for him. It's something he started doing when he was fourteen, for God's sake. When I was fourteen, I wanted to study medicine. Medicine! I would think there are very few people who have the same ambitions when they're in their young teens, as they do in their twenties and beyond.

Thorpe was a teenage freak-of-nature with flippers for feet, who conquered the world in his chosen field at a very young age; yay for him. Does that mean he should be expected to continue in that field, even after his passion for it has died? Of course not.

I'm in no position to know, but he has always seemed to me an intelligent, articulate and driven young man, albeit often impatient with the media spotlight and public expectation. I'm sure he'll excel at whatever endeavour his passion now leads him into.

And in my inconsequential opinion, if he has quit sport to spend more time having poo-sex with a Brazilian water-polo player
- as some have suggested - then good luck to him. What the poor lad chooses to do with his life - let alone his dick - is not our business (tantalising though the imagery may be).

~~~~~~~

Meanwhile, the swiftness with which the Kim Beasley celebrity-identity fuck-up gags have circulated, merely highlights what an utter joke the man is in the eyes of the nation.


Get him out of there, and let's get some legitimate political opposition happening in this country for a change! (The rumoured Rudd-Gillard ticket may not be perfect, but it would get my vote.)

Over and out.

Labels:


6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

We're taking Michelle Grattan's word on Labor powerbroking now? She's had it in for Kim for some time and is one of the chief offenders in this entire ridiculous charade that somehow mucking up someone's name is terminal.

Dog-whistle stuff.

November 22, 2006 11:20 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It might just be me, but I think that's the most unflattering photo of Thorpe out there.

And you can see he's holding in his gut.

On the other hand, it's perfect for photoshopping...

November 22, 2006 11:23 am  
Blogger mindlessmunkey said...

peter ~ I don't think Grattan is alone in her opinion that Beazley is not the best person to be leading the opposition (although I agree the now-denied Rudd-challenge rumour was always dubious).

As for mucking someone's name up - of course it accounts for nothing in reality. But in the eyes of the electorate, I think it's a comically visible gaff which is seen to confirm a fairly widespread opinion (right or wrong) that the man is "out of touch".

tyson ~ I dunno, there's something about the "I've just been swimming through an oil-slick" look that I find quite compelling.

November 22, 2006 11:44 am  
Blogger Sam said...

I feel conflicted. Kim is a hot-air balloon slowly and helplessly drifting towards the Antarctic, yes, but a leadership change between now and election '07 would IMO only make them look even more unstable and unalternativey.

I thought Steve Lewis put it quite well in an Oz column yesterday: Many people despise the current government and want Howard gone, but hardly anyone is actually genuinely excited by the possibility of PM Beazley.

November 22, 2006 5:36 pm  
Blogger Sam said...

PS - Julia reminds me a bit of Jodie Foster as Clarice, and Kevin reminds me a bit of Anthony Hopkins as Lecter. Go figure.

November 22, 2006 5:38 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wouldn't it suit him so much better if his surname was spelled Beezly?

November 22, 2006 8:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home