24 January, 2007

it's turkey lurkey time

So, I have moved house! To be more precise, I have moved in with the adorable Mr Byron. We have spent the last week or so turning our lovely art-deco apartment in Richmond into a very comfortable home. (For anyone wondering, this process involves a shitload of money, several wheelie-bins full of discarded packing material, and approximately 37 man hours dedicated to the construction of items from Ikea.)

Although he is currently back in Sydney for about a week, finalising things up there, it feels very much like our co-habitational life together has officially begun. *cuts ceremonial ribbon with oversize scissors* Hurrah!

Everyone keeps asking us, "So have you had any major domestics yet?!" or "So are you still in love after all the chaos of the move?" This always strikes me as a bit odd. I guess it is a big step to go straight from long-distance to living-together. But all I can say is: so far so good. At this point, our "major" fights go something like this:

Byron - Let's get take-away tonight.
munkey - Okay. There's the noodle place, the burger place, the pizza place...
Byron - I don't care what we get.
munkey - I don't care either. You decide.
Byron - But I don't care.
munkey - Grrr...
[Repeat, as above, for about twenty minutes.]
munkey - Okay fine - noodles.
[Byron & munkey peruse menu for about twenty minutes.]
Byron - I don't think I want noodles.
munkey - Grrr!
Byron - How about burgers?
munkey - Burgers! Perfect!
[Byron & munkey peruse menu for about twenty minutes.]
munkey - I'm getting the Triple C (chicken burger with camembert and cranberry *drool*). What are you getting?
[Byron peruses menu for another twenty minutes.]
munkey - Well?!
Byron - ...
munkey - There's beef burgers, there's chicken burgers, there's veggie burgers. Burgers galore! They're all awesome! Just pick one!
Byron - ...
munkey - ... ?
Byron - ... I've definitely decided to get something on a bun.
munkey - GRRR!
[munkey attempts to stab Byron. Byron disarms munkey with merciless tickling. Chaos ensues.]

This basic format of argument is applied to every minor decision we make together.

A suggestion: if you have us over for dinner, you decide what we're having. Before we get there.

Labels:


4 Comments:

Blogger Saturday Night Fiver said...

In my experience, a catlike ability to duck before objects are thrown at you is essential for the preservation of domestic bliss.

January 24, 2007 1:36 pm  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

Have really enjoyed hanging out with you guys. Of course, having to restrain myself from endlessly geeking out over musicals with Byron, to the total exclusion of everyone else, is kind of hard work. *sigh*

January 24, 2007 3:59 pm  
Blogger sublime-ation said...

Funny.
Is Byron a Libran by any chance?

January 24, 2007 5:08 pm  
Blogger mindlessmunkey said...

s.n.f. ~ I'll be sure to perfect that. Although I suspect Byron treasures his Ikea purchases too dearly to be hurliung them any time soon.

Jelly ~ *cuddles*

sublime-ation ~ Worse! A Pisces! *tears out hair* (I say this with infinite affection, of course.)

January 25, 2007 9:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home