30 July, 2009

once more into the breach

Do people even read blogs anymore? I have no idea. I'm quite sure nobody visits this one these days. But after a year of radio silence, here I am again. Whether this will last, I have no idea. I'll do my best.

Just before I disappeared from the blogosphere, I took a massive leap into a new career path... and then kind of freaked out. Actually, scratch "kind of". I completely freaked out.

I am very pleased to say I've pulled myself together and am still toiling away in the script department of Australia's longest-running serial drama. For a few months I was clinging on by the skin of my fingernails' teeth. But now I am quite comfortable in the world of television storylining; I feel like I know what I'm doing, and the people in charge seem to agree. (For now, touch wood.)

When people ask me what I've been doing for the last year, I usually give a boring account of the day-to-day ins and outs of plotting episodic television. But basically, I get to sit/stand/dance around all day talking and writing about characters and their stories. I am part of a massive machine that makes TV. Copious amounts of TV. The equivalent of a feature film every week, more than forty weeks a year.

And I'm inspired by, learning from and working with an astonishingly talented and hard-working group of people, many of whom I now count among my very dear friends.

Regrets? I had a few... But they didn't last for long. Doing something creative with my life was a long time coming (and required the forceful prodding of my nearest and dearest, SnazzieD in particular). I have no intention of looking back.

There are many more musings tumbling about in my mind - about life in general, stuff going on in the world, and the reasons why I'm back here throwing words at my blog again at all. But if I intend to maintain this with any sort of regularity (and hopefully I do), I'd better save something for next time.

Adios!

Labels:


4 Comments:

Blogger The Mutant said...

Welcome back - About time you resurfaced, plus you have 12 months of tales with which to entertain us. Hop to it! Ha ha. By the way, its terribly exciting to hear that your 'new' job is going so well.

July 30, 2009 8:35 pm  
Blogger Tom said...

I'm still here! Or at least my RSS reader is.

I predict The Blog is coming back into fashion. It's like the 80s all over again.

No...wait.

July 31, 2009 8:49 am  
Blogger mindlessmunkey said...

Mutant ~ Well hi there! Took me a minute to recognise you in your new guise. Hope all is well.

Tom ~ Glad someone out there still remembers the good old days when Blogs roamed the earth.

July 31, 2009 7:14 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey are you a professional journalist? This article is very well written, as compared to most other blogs i saw today….
anyhow thanks for the good read!

December 13, 2009 1:33 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home