30 April, 2008

update-a-rama

Apparently blogging once a month is about all I can manage at the moment. Kind of pathetic, I know. However, with events that are about to unfold in munkey-world, this situation may become even more dire. I honestly don't know whether it's going to be possible to continue this here blog at all, but I'll try.

Where were we...?

On Monday of this week, I officially gave two weeks' notice at my place of employment. Yes, I am leaving the admin role I've been working in for the last seven years, taking a great leap into the unknown. I have a (probably) six week traineeship at my new place of work, which will be intense, stressful, chaotic, creative and - hopefully - at least a little bit fun. And, bottom line, it should be a hundred times more fulfilling than what I have been doing. So what am I going to be doing with myself? What is this marvellous new place I'm heading into? I'm not really sure how much I should say. Basically, I will be working in the story-lining department of a very long-running nightly television serial drama (and, given that I live in Melbourne, if you can't figure out what show I'm talking about, then frankly I don't know what to do with you). But don't come looking for goss and scandal or inside info on this blog, because I really can't go there.

So yes, I have six weeks maximum to prove I can cut the mustard. And if I don't... who knows? Temp work? Call centre? I'll figure something out, I guess. This is the kind of uncertainty that sends my blood pressure through the ceiling even in theory. So now that it's actually happening, my head is kind of spinning, but I'm holding it all together.

Just to make things even more calm and relaxing, my car decided to die on the weekend. It's all far too boring and ridiculous to go into, but basically it's overheating pretty much constantly, and all signs are pointing to something head-gaskety, which (in case you don't know) basically translates as "horrendously expensive". Quite possibly so expensive that, in my case, it's not even worth fixing. The car is getting looked at by my trusty local mechanics today, so I guess I'll know just how bad the situation is before too long.

Meanwhile the book I was telling you about, to which I contributed a story, is now real and tangible. The compilation is simply called "short". I don't think it's out on the shelves yet, but you can read about it here at the publisher's website. All the royalties are benefiting the Big Brothers Big Sisters charity, so it's a good cause. Check it out, y'all!

And yet again this blog proves itself the very model of well-structured, carefully-considered writing. What a farce. I'm about to try and become a professional writing-type person, and I can't even string a coherent blog-post together. Lord, help me!

Labels:


5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats man !! thats great news

April 30, 2008 4:34 pm  
Blogger The Mutant said...

Oh my fucking lord, the new job sounds rather exciting. How the hell do you land a gig like that?

Congratulations!

Oh and you'll be able to say that you work in the television indastry and make yourself sound like a knob whenever you so desire, Ha ha ha.

Maybe you and I need to go car shopping together? I think I'd like to exit mine befre it becomes too much trouble, but I don't think I will be somehow. Sigh.

Anyway I hope it all works out for you and I'll have to keep my eyes peeled for Short and I hope you fall madly in love with the new job and, and, and... Okay I'm just nmaking an arse of myself.

PS you and Byron still owe me a catch-up over coffee!

May 03, 2008 10:47 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah! If only I had a television....

Fingers crossed, good luck.

May 08, 2008 11:52 pm  
Blogger gigglewick said...

Heh. My eye just started twitching at the mere mention of the words "head gasket".

obviously MM I don't know you at all - but I applaud your bravery in seeking to fulfill your own destiny.

Go you...and even if you can't share gossip, a new workplace can be a very invigorating thing for ones' creative side. Seriously.

May 26, 2008 3:50 pm  
Blogger mindlessmunkey said...

Thanks, everyone. Sorry I've fallen so far behind with reading all your blogs and responding to comments, emails, etc.

I'm crossing my fingers that this will get easier after I've been doing it for a while, and I'll be able to contemplate the outside world again!

xo

May 30, 2008 7:20 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home