06 June, 2006

longing in abstract, loving in 5/4 time

The exquisite Ms Snazzles is an absolute magnet for brilliant, procrastinatory internet delights. The latest is Mr Picassohead - an ingenious site where you can, indeed, create your own Picasso masterpiece. As Snaz points out, this is truly a blasphemous notion, but lots of fun nonetheless. So go ahead and let out your inner eccentric genius. Here is my effort:

I call it: Self-Portrait with an Absent Turtle
Incidentally, I will be jetting off North to visit the aforementioned Turtle in just a couple of days. It would be safe to say that MindlessMunkey is rather excited. I think we've both been going a bit insane.

~~~~~~~

In other news The Mistress and I went to see a fantastic gig by Mr Pumpkin - aka James Vivian - and his band at Revolver last week. I quite like Revolver - it must be one of the only bars South of the River that's not overflowing with pseudo-sophisticated suburban kids dressed in Supré and trying their very best to be seen somewhere swanky. As for the performance itself, it was great. Lively and fun with a high standard of inventive song-writing. I was particularly impressed - and green with envy - at how relaxed and comfortable Mr Pumpkin seemed in front of his audience. I begin to squirm and sweat at the very thought of singing or playing in front of a group of people.

BUT... this is something I hope to overcome, at least to some extent. On that note (pun not intended, but I guess I'll let it go) I wrote a brand new song this week! Hurrah! It started a couple of weekends ago, at patermunkey's house. I was messing with the piano, and within a few miutes had come up with a chord progression I quite liked, and scribbled it down. Later, I messed around with it on my little keyboard, decided it should be in 5/4 time (yes, another installment in MindlessMunkey's Adventures in Wacky Time-Signatures), and created a shitty little MIDI demo of it, with simple lyrics. It's called Refugee Song and it's about love and death (WHAT A FUCKING SURPRISE! AREN'T THEY ALWAYS?!) ...and, yes of course, it's about Byron. I sent him the shitty-quality demo, and I think he liked it. I hope so. I am pondering the idea of putting the demo up here for TheGreatUnwashed™ to judge/adore/rip-to-shreds... but for now, here are the lyrics... Enjoy!


REFUGEE SONG


Thirteen sails.
Thirteen tears to mend.
Thirteen letters to send.

I’ll be the coin

In your pocket to spend,

Your dry clothes waiting by the river side,

Your garden to tend.

I’m a refugee,

Drifting on your sea.

It’s all the same sky

Over you and me.


One last dawn.

One last star to shine.

One last fear left behind.

Here at your feet

I rent myself bare.

Frailty glist’ning, weakness ruby red.

But “Gently,” you said,

“You’re a refugee.

I have heard your plea.

There’s a green Earth

Under you and me.”


Countless wounds.

Countless dead at my feet.

Countless deaths still to cheat.

You’ll be my tomb

When my journey’s complete.

Upon my knees, but further yet to fall.

One last brave retreat.

I’m a refugee,

Castaway but free.

Only Earth and Sky

Border you and me.


© 2006, mindlessmunkey music


Labels: ,


3 Comments:

Blogger Afe said...

Do it!!!

June 06, 2006 12:08 pm  
Blogger Steph said...

Wow, your song is soooo much better than mine. Nice work :)

June 06, 2006 1:15 pm  
Blogger mindlessmunkey said...

Hmm we shall see, Mr Afe. You would understand my reluctance if you heard just how dodgy the recording is. If I had the facilities to make a decent-quality demo (like your own) I wouldn't hesitate.

Thank you very much Steph... although I don't think holding our songs side-by-side is really a fair comparison. haha They are not exactly of the same genre. :p

Oh God! It does look like Sloth doesn't it! I hadn't even realised. What does this say about my self-image? Oh well, he may be a monstrosity of nature, but at least he's good-natured.

June 06, 2006 3:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home