10 April, 2006

some kind of bliss

I am disturbed.

Standing in the tea-room, I watched one of my work-mates as he absorbed the front page of today's Herald Sun: a fun-run for Melbourne's Royal Children's Hospital. My work-mate was making appropriately respectful noises, which prompted me to snort snobbishly, "Yeh, but it's hardly front-page news." His response, I shit you not:
"Oh I quite like it when you see something
like that on the front page because it means there's nothing else bad happening in the world."
Ignorance is bliss, they say. This, lovers and dreamers, is why John Howard has been in power for 10 years, and why Bush will get away with bombing Iran if he decides he wants to.

~~~~~~~

In news less likely to make one throw up one's hands crying "for the love of God, what is wrong with people?!", I had a lovely weekend.

Yipyipyipyip Li-Li's Birth-Day! Yipyipyiyip Uh-huh. Uh-huh. Dear readers, the inspirational Lady Lilikens has reached the quarter of a century... AND is on the brink of launching her very first published novel! Definitely cause for mucho celebracionne, so on Friday night, the whole brigade set off for Zum Zum on Rathdowne St and partook of a magnificent banquet with much wine.

On Saturday night my beloved Snazzles came a'visiting. She spoiled me by bringing over home-made soup and banana cake, and together we wiled away the evening playing movie-tr
ivia, watching Futurama, trying to get our Sims' love-lives in order, and generally enjoying the together-time. It might seem like a slightly lame Saturday night, given that most folk our age would be out painting the town red (or ultramarine, as Mr Byron would have it), but frankly this is my very favourite kind of weekend-night: sharing quality time with people you love. (Also it's not quite as lame as what we did last Saturday, but that's a story for elsewhere.)

Sunday was spent traipsing into the hills avec Lili, Snaz, and Jelly to meet Canoe and Shorty at the wonderful realm of Canoe's parental units. Nestled among the gums and frequented by rosellas, this has been the locale of many wonderful relaxed days and evenings. As the first-time visitors soon realised, it is a place where you find your motivation to ever leave dwindling the longer you stay there. On the way home, we sang along loudly to Rent and Avenue Q, and munkey felt an indescribable glow of fundamental contentedness.

I can't put my finger on exactly why... or rather, I could point at a few things that are wrapping my world in a cozy-comfy jacket - however I could also point to some things that should be like icy water dripping down my spine, but for some reason those things just aren't getting through right now. Maybe it's the smell of my childhood that I always sense on the air as the descent into Winter begins, but I feel very at home in the world right now.

World events increasingly scare the shit out of me. The seeming impossibility of adult-life constantly makes me feel like an inadequate human being. Katie Holmes is about to give birth to some kind of AntiChrist...
But for today, I am finding my way by the light I can see, following the beat of the music in my head, and dancing a solo tango by the midnight river-side.
Who would care to join me?

Labels:


6 Comments:

Blogger Jellyfish said...

*offers first dance*

And also? not quite as lame as what we did last Saturday, but that's a story for elsewhere.

A story that will be told, oh yes. IT WILL BE TOLD!

April 10, 2006 10:53 am  
Blogger lili said...

i don't care if it was lame. it was awesome. i look forward to the retelling...

in other news, how hot is my author photo??? if only i looked like that ALL THE TIME!

http://www.bdb.com.au/creators/lili_wilkinson.htm

i might just tape the photo up over all my mirrors...

of course now people who meet me are going to be disappointed. authors are never as interesting or beautiful or eccentric as you want them to be...

April 10, 2006 11:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lil, that's what you look like to me all the time. But one's best friends always have a rosy glow about them, don't they?

As for the infamous Lame Saturday Night™, (which I found deeply enjoyable, by the way), I was kind of hoping Jellyfish would be able to tell the amusing tale without revealing the mortifying detail that it was, in fact, a Saturday night. Thanks, munkey.

What a bunch of nerds we are. You might as well spread it that I did a little dance in JB Hi-Fi when I saw that Press Gang Season 3-5 have been released.

April 10, 2006 1:49 pm  
Blogger Jellyfish said...

Oh my god, I had never watched Press Gang until tonight, but I am now a TOTAL CONVERT. I want a time travel machine so I can travel back to 1990, grab Spike by his tousled hair and, well, fuck his brains out, quite frankly. Spike. Spiiiiike.

In other news, Lilmeister, how dare you undersell yourself so. Any adoring fans meeting you in da flesh will find you so adorable that you will soon be sending the many whose offers of marriage you are forced to reject AROUND MY WAY. Of more concern to all should be where your capital letters went, child. Is that any example to set for the kiddes etc (says she who patently cannot spell or 'do' grammar).

And Snaz, as I already told you - that saturday night details is crucial to the story. Sorry. You of all peple should understand about unpleasant details being CRUCIAL to stories. Speaking of which, I believe I have some pressing business to attend to in the early evening most weeknights these days, things that might keep me out of the house or, you know, in my room. Away from the lounge. And the tv set.

*feels the pressure*

WHY CAN'T EVERYONE JUST BE HAPPY?

April 11, 2006 12:04 am  
Blogger Byron said...

OH MY GOD.

Press Gang is out on DVD?

My world is almost complete.

All I need is that tango with you munkey sire... and I can die a happy man :)

April 11, 2006 10:14 am  
Blogger Byron said...

I am up here in this godforsaken state.

Have you not diarised our rendezvous...? Soon we shall dance :)

April 11, 2006 9:13 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home